Kampala lies at an altitude of 1,155 meters from Lake Victoria. Kampala was founded in the 19th Century, when the king of Buganda had his seat in the hills. The name “Kampala” originated from a British Lord Captain Frederick Lugard. There were many Impala – Antelopes found there at that time. From the Luganda translation for “hill of the Impala”, Kasozi ka Impala, the short form “Kampala” was developed. This term referred to the hills of present-day Old Kampala, on which the Capt Lugard built his fort.
As the fort was established so many people were attracted to the city. The town grew rapidly and expanded to 7 hills that is; Mvulago, Kololo, Kibuli, Rubaga, old Kampala, Namirembe and Makerere. Each of the seven hills represents a predominant feature: On the hills, Rubaga, Namirembe and Kibuli there settled the central bodies of the three leading religious communities (Catholics, Protestants and Islam). Kololo/ Nakasero form the Center for Public Administration and were the preferred residential areas of their employees. Makerere became the university campus and in Mulago settled health facilities. These identities have remained up to today.
Fondly known as the green city in the sun, Kampala is the commercial and administrative capital of Uganda. Spread over more than twenty hills, it is one of the fastest growing cities in Africa. Its architecture is a mixture of the modern, the colonial and the Indian. Its roads are its two million inhabitants.
Sitting at an altitude of 1,180m above sea level, it enjoys pleasant weather, with annual temperatures averaging 17 degrees Celsius (minimum) and 27 degrees Celsius (maximum). To the south is Lake Victoria, the world’s second largest fresh water lake and the source of the longest river in the world, the River Nile. The history of Kampala, like that of many other cities in the world, is wrapped in both folklore and historical facts. According to folklore, swamps and hills dominated much of the area where it presently stands.
This made it an ideal habitat for Impala and other members of the antelope family. The animals grazed on the slopes of the hills and came down to the swamps for water. The palace of the Kabaka (king) of Buganda, located on the landscape rich in Impala herds. The king thus turned it into his hunting grounds. Folklore merged with history when the British Empire builders arrived at the end of the 19th century. “Impala” was the English name for that particular antelope family. So the British referred to the area as the “hill of the Impala”, which the Baganda translated into Luganda as “Kasozi k’empala” and eventually “Kampala”. Kasozi means hill. So whenever the Kabaka left the palace to go hunting his favorite game, royal courtiers would say “the Kabaka has gone to Kampala to hunt”, thus the name was born. The tag “the hill of the Impala”, however, specifically referred to the hill on which colonial victory, Captain Fredrick Lugard, of the Imperial British East African Company, established base in 1890. Now known as Old K’la, this hill would be the administrative headquarters of the company (and Uganda) until 1894 when the administrative headquarters of the British Protectorate were transferred to Entebbe.
In 1962 upon attainment of independence, it regained its status as the capital of Uganda. From a small hamlet occupying 19 square kilometers, it had spread to seven hills by the time of independence, earning the tag “city of seven hills”. The original seven hills are: Mengo, Rubaga, Namirembe, Makerere, Kololo, Nakasero, and Kampala (Old K’la). Today, greater Kampala stands on at least 21 hills. We take you through the prominent hills that form the modern day capital and their signature to the city’s political and socio-economic life, starting with the original seven.
Kampala as a City
During 1906, the United Kingdom law declared Kampala as a town and it advanced into an administrative municipality in 1949. Although in 1962, it received the official status of a city. The British originally had their administrative headquarters in Entebbe and Kampala was only after an election to the capital of the Uganda. In the first decades the city grew steadily. It had the best University in East Africa (Makerere University) and was an appeal to all the other African cities which was hard to surpass. During the civil war years under Obote and Amin, Kampala suffered heavily the consequences. Many buildings were destroyed and the infrastructure completely broke down.
Today, Kampala is one of the most modern African cities and awakens in many areas the European feeling that is, many shops and hotels, bars and international restaurants. Kampala is also known as one of the safest cities in Africa. Kampala and its surroundings offer sightseeing, city walks and day trips opportunities.
Some sightseeing opportunities are;
- the Bahai Temple (The only temple of this religion in Africa. A beautiful, peaceful place with a fantastic view over the city)
- The Kasubi Tombs (The Royal tombs of the Buganda kings Mutesa I, Mwanga II, Daudi Chwa II and Mutesa II in a huge tent built out of wood and straw)
- Kibuli Hill (This is an Islamic mosque, whose minaret offers a magnificent view of Kampala. One of the largest Islamic worship Uganda)
- Nakasero Market (The largest market in Kampala city, where mainly African foods are sold. But also Mediterranean products can be found there)
- Namirembe Cathedral
- the Namugongo Martyrs shrine
- Uganda National Museum
- National theatre
- Makerere University Kampala
- St. Mary’s Cathedral Lubaga
- Namirembe Cathedral